The holiday season is a popular time for vehicle shopping in Fort Collins, and if you’re in the market for a new set of wheels, perhaps you’ve been debating on the kind of vehicle you want. There are cars, SUVs, crossovers, trucks, and more to choose from, with thousands of makes and models. Many people in Colorado own trucks, for both business and pleasure, and swear by their utility, power, and reliability. But if you are considering buying a truck, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
All types of vehicles have their own pros and cons, meaning that you need to find the right fit for you and your lifestyle. Trucks come with their own unique features, axles and drivelines, horsepower, storage solutions, and off road capabilities. Here are some benefits and drawbacks to truck ownership, and you should add your own ideas to the list as well!
- This is what really sets trucks apart. The ability to store and transport goods in the bed is a lifesaver for many people, so think about how much you would use it
- Yes, a truck engine often has much more power than a car’s. If you need to tow heavy things, or power through rough terrain, a truck is a good investment.
- For people that work dirty jobs like in construction, landscaping, and industrial, having a vehicle that can handle some bumps and bruises is a relief. Trucks can withstand more abuse and minor accidents than most cars.
- Trucks cost more to purchase up front, and often come with higher maintenance costs over their lifetime. Transmissions, axels and drivelines are more expensive to fix or replace. Fuel costs are often higher as well.
- The beefiness of a truck requires more power and more time to stop, turn, and accelerate, and cannot be easily parked in tight spots.
- In exchange for a truck bed, the cabin space is often cramped and leaves no room for families, pets, or carpooling. Keep this in mind if you have children, or routinely share rides with coworkers.
It all really comes down to your personal preferences and lifestyle when you choose between a car and a truck. Take time to really investigate your day-to-day life in Fort Collins, and whether you would really use the features that a truck provides. Such large purchases should be weighed considerably, to find just the right match for you, your budget, and your needs. A truck can be a fantastic vehicle for the right person…is that person you?